Lucy's Cruelty-Free Beauty and Living: Vegan Breakfast Staples & Yes That Includes BACON!

Vegan Breakfast Staples & Yes That Includes BACON!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Vegan Staples for the Perfect Weekend Breakfast blog title

I love breakfast!  I really do consider it to be the most important meal of the day.  When it came to going vegan, it was also one of the trickiest meals to make substitutions for.  Breakfast is usually jam packed with dairy and meats, such as eggs, milk, cream cheese, butter, bacon, and sausage.  Recently, I was finally able to find vegan substitutions for all my favorite breakfast staples that I gave up when I became a vegan last year 💗 You can read all about that in my post about Veganuary!  Keep reading to learn all about the vegan breakfast staples I am keeping on hand for the perfect weekend breakfast!

When I think of the perfect weekend breakfast, I think about bacon and eggs, maybe a bagel with cream cheese, and a frothy, hot mocha latte!  As a vegan, this can still all be yours!!! 


The variety of vegan products available in the local grocery store is definitely on the rise!  This is very cool, because it means that veganism is also on the rise, especially among young families raising children #thefutureisvegan 🌎 I very rarely have to go to a specialty store, like Whole Foods, for any of my regular staple items I always like to keep on hand...Don't get me wrong I love Whole Foods, but it is a bit farther and a bit more $$$, and my local Publix is literally across the street and has  pretty much everything I need 💚


Vegan Staples for the Perfect Weekend Breakfast food plated

There is nothing more satisfying to me than a piping hot peppermint mocha latte ☕


Vegan Staples for the Perfect Weekend Breakfast dairy vegan breakfast staples

Dairy 


Finding a milk replacement is a big deal for people that drink a lot of milk or beverages that contain milk, such as my fave drink on the planet! I have tried several different vegan milks and I keep coming back to the Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla.  It just works for me!  It's the perfect consistency, since I used to drink fat-free milk.  Milks made from cashew and soy  seem to be creamier, but they were just too creamy for me.  I also tried rice milk which has that thinner consistency, but the taste was a bit tangy for me.  I also really like coconut milk, and I kept the So Delicious Mint Chocolate Coconut Milk on hand!  Sadly it is seasonal so I won't be able to get find it again until the winter holidays roll around.

Vegan Staples for the Perfect Weekend Breakfast butter & cream cheese vegan breakfast staples

Butters & Spreads


I was always a big fan of warm, buttered Cuban bread or a toasted sesame bagel with cream cheese.  Sadly, I have not been able to find any vegan Cuban bread but I did find some amazing frozen french baguettes and rolls from the brand Le Petit Francais.  I HIGHLY recommend them, they are quick to bake and are delicious 🍞 Finding a good buttery spread can also solve a lot of substitution questions.  I love to toss in a tablespoon into soups and stews, I slather it on corn, I use it baking, and the most obvious way, as a butter spread on bread.  I really like the line of Earth Balance spreads, especially the organic whipped and the soy free (pictured above).  For cream cheese, I have really been enjoying the Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese.  They have a few different varieties, but I have only been able to find their traditional flavor.  Also, just in case you didn't know, Thomas' Bagels are vegan, and for other Publix shoppers, are BOGO quite often!

Vegan Staples for the Perfect Weekend Breakfast bacon and vegan egg breakfast staples


Vegan Bacon 🥓 That's right, I said it!  Don't knock it till you've tried it!


Bacon


I tried the Tofurky brand for the very first time at the South Florida Vegan Fest.  For some reason, I had always been kind of wary of trying a meat alternative such as this.  What the heck was wrong with me?!?!  These products are so good!  I have tried their deli meat, sausages, and tempeh, and have really enjoyed them all.  I even made their Holiday Roast for Thanksgiving! As a bacon substitute, I highly recommend their Smoky Maple Bacon Treehouse Tempeh.  These cook up quickly and easily in the tiniest bit of oil on the stove, and are amazing in salads, a BLT sandwich and just as...well...bacon 💚 🥓

Vegan Staples for the Perfect Weekend Breakfast vegan bacon tempeh

My most recent discovery has to be one of the biggest, as it really opens so many doors when it comes to recipes and meals!  

When I saw the Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg on the shelf of my local supermarket I thought I saw a unicorn 🦄 


Eggs


I decided to take this product for a spin via FBLive since I really want to get my comfort level up with using the platform on my blog's FB Page...plus I really wanted to eat some! 😉  I am beyond impressed with this egg replacer!  It cooked up fairly quickly and I am still in disbelief at how much it is like actual scrambled eggs!  I made some delicious scrambled eggs with a pinch of sea salt, black pepper, and turmeric, and tossed in a few slices of green onions.  I am really excited to take The Vegan Egg for a spin and make breakfast sandwiches, omelettes, and mini quiches.  My next attempt will be using it as a baking egg replacer.  Don't worry I will definitely share my results with you 🎂

Vegan Staples for the Perfect Weekend Breakfast FBLive on cooking the vegan egg
FBLive - Cooking demo, taste test, and overall first impressions of Follow Your Heart's Vegan Egg

Not only was the Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg delicious, but it was so easy to cook up, and looked beautiful on my plate 🍽


Vegan Staples for the Perfect Weekend Breakfast vegan egg prepared

What are your favorite vegan breakfast staples?  Let me know in the comments!  I love discovering new vegan products and recipes!


Have a Beautiful Day, Lucy~~*