Lucy's Cruelty-Free Beauty and Living: No More Rainy Days for Me-Birchbox April 2014

No More Rainy Days for Me-Birchbox April 2014

Friday, April 25, 2014


Not quite sure if it so completely apropos that my last month of Birchbox would be their Rainy Days theme for April 2014.  I have been a Birchbox subscriber for about six months, and for each and every month I kept telling myself, "Give it one more month, it is bound to get better."  I know many of you love Birchbox, and to each his own!  I am happy that Birchbox provides you with the products you enjoy, but for me it just wasn't cutting it.  I enjoy more of a makeup oriented bag, but I received enough tea to host the Boston Tea Party!  The granola bar this month was really just the icing on the cake.  Check out what I received in this month's Birchbox and take it for what it's worth.  Hey, maybe it's exactly what you are looking for and if it is, than more power to you:)

 
Kind Healthy Grains Bar-Maple Pumpkin Seed with Sea Salt
Yes, I ate it and yes, it was alright...I'm not much into Maple, but I did enjoy the crunch of the pumpkin seeds with the contrast of the salty and sweet. 
This was a full 1.2 oz size (Case of 40 retails for $28.50)
Value - $0.71
 
Derma e Hydrating Night Creme
I consider this to be one of the better items in the box this month.  I look forward to try it out, after I finish the others I have in line.  The deluxe sample was pretty decent in size...1/2 oz.  A full size of this creme is 2 oz and retails for $29.50
Value - $7.38
 
Color Club Nail Polish in Gold Struck
This was a very pretty nail polish.  A lot of people mind polishes, but I say the more the merrier! This shade is from the Gala Gem's Collection and is described as an understated subtle gold.  It really is quite pretty, and would go well with several color palettes.  A full size bottle is 0. oz and retails for $8.  The bottle in my box was 0.25 oz.
Value - $4
 
Cynthia Rowley Beauty Eyeliner
One can never have too many black eyeliners.  This pencil is described as creamy, smooth, smudge proof and long lasting.  I don't usually wear black eyeliner on a daily basis.  I usually dust it off on special occasions and go with more of a liquid eyeliner to create the cat eye look.  I have been experimenting with colored eyeliners for daily wear and have been loving Tarina Tarantino's Eye Dream Hyperliner in Cute Robot & Amethyst Android and the Hard Candy Shadowholic in Golden Rule.  The full size for this product is .04 oz and retails for $16.  The size in my Birchbox was .03 oz.
Value - $12
 
No4 Lumiere d'hiver Clarifying Shampoo
I have yet to be impressed with a shampoo from Birchbox.  I have not tried this one, but I will once my current shampoo runs out.  This shampoo is a deep cleansing treatment that is gentle enough for everyday use.  It is also sulfate & sodium chloride free.  A full size bottle is 8.5 oz and retails for $32.  My one-time use bottle is 1.0 oz.
Value - $3.76
 
No4 Lumiere d'hiver Reconstructing Masque
The only conditioner I have really enjoyed from Birchbox is the Serge Normant Meta Dry Conditioner.  I must say it really is a fresh pick me up without all the drying effects of a dry shampoo.  The masque is described as a deep treatment for replenishing, strengthening & smoothing.  I will definitely give it a shot.  A full size of this product is 5.1 oz and retails for $58.  My one-time use foil packet is .25 oz.
Value - $2.84
 
Overall, my April 2014 Birchbox had a total value of $30.69.  I don't think value is necessarily a problem, but I will say that many of the products they sample are definitely on the higher end.  Really, I would never spend $8 on a hair masque.  There are so many other high quality products on the market for a fraction of the price.  
 
Goodbye Birchbox!  I know you have dedicated followers out there.  Unfortunately I am not one of them.  I wish Birchbox and its subscribers all the best:) 
 
https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11014809
 
Stay Beautiful!
~Lucy @ 2Gen Beauty