Lucy's Cruelty-Free Beauty and Living: August 2013 ipsy Bag Review

August 2013 ipsy Bag Review

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I think it's about time I review the products in my August 2013 ipsy Bag.  So I'm a little behind...it's okay I will catch up in no time!  I was very happy with my August 2013 ipsy bag...I would say that 3 of the 5 products were winners for me, one was so-so and the 5th was a not-so-much.  I will be reviewing them in order of how much I enjoyed each of the products, starting with the valedictorian in my book!  Get it...valedictorian...Glamour Academy...hey I tried;)

The valedictorian of my ipsy Glamour Academy bag was the...drum roll please...
Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Facial Scrub!!!

You could say it was love at first scrub.  This product has found a permanent spot on my shower shelf, as I use it religiously to gently exfoliate every time I take a shower.  I love everything about this scrub.  It is gentle enough to use everyday, it has a great clean scent and I really feel like it has helped to clear up my age spots.  I was never one to exfoliate on a regular basis, but I will definitely be purchasing the full size for $18 once my deluxe sample is empty.  I have purchased other products through the Michael Todd website and have subscribed to their emails.  I highly recommend doing this as they run amazing specials all the time.  I have picked up a few more of their products in the mean time: the Citrus Cream Moisturizer, the Kaolin Clay Mask (for my tween), the Walnut Grapefruit Scrub, the Antiox Serum, and the Pumpkin Mask.  Michael Todd True Organics are Made in the U.S. with certified organic ingredients, without added water and free of parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrance or artificial dyes.”  Not only that, but they are cruelty-free, which is #1 in my book.  I have become a true fan of this brand and will continue to use their products.  Thank you ipsy for putting them in my bag!!!
 
 
The salutatorian of my August 2013 ipsy bag is the NYX Cosmetics Mosaic Powder Blush in Paradise.  It was a full-size product, which retails for $7.  I was a little disappointed when I originally received the powder blush, because if was really hoping to try their cream blush as I have never tried a cream blush before.  I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it for the first time.  Paradise is described on the NYX site as a bright pink with gold shimmer.  It really lives up to its description.  I actually wish I had received this at the beginning of the summer, as it really provides a beautiful shade of pink that would work well with a summer look.  Regardless, this had become one of my go-to blushes, along with Benefit's Hervana, and Tarte's Amazonian Clay blush in Captivating.  I also took advantage of the ipsy discount and picked up a few more items from NYX to try out as all I had tried up to this point was a lip gloss I picked up at Ulta.  My NYX haul consisted of a gel liner in Betty, a liquid liner in black, matte lipstick in Merlot, eyeshadow base in skintone and their butter glosses in Cherry Pie and Maple Blondie.  I actually kept the Cherry Pie got me as it adds a pop of color and gave the Maple Blondie to my tween, as it provides more of a neutral shimmer.
 
3rd place at the Glamour Academy went to the Pacifica Alight BB Cream.  The ipsy bag came with a deluxe sample size, but the full-size retails for $16.  I had only tried a body butter from this brand, and coincidentally was also wanting to try out a BB cream.  I've noticed that the older I get the more coverage I need to hide my imperfections.  The Pacifica BB cream went on very smooth and blended quite nicely.  It is only available in one shade, as they do advertise that it contained "Specialized mineral pigments that instantly adjust to your skin shade allows one color to work for many."  I can see this as being accurate as honestly the coverage is very sheer.  They also advertise that "This is more close to a tinted moisturizer leaving you with a natural finish."  This is a great BB cream for someone on the younger side that is looking for that sheer daily coverage or I can see myself using this if I'm going to the beach or the pool, because it does leave your face with a hint of glimmer so it is a great summer product.  For going to work, a date night, or a girls' night out, I would go with a more medium coverage and use Tarte's BB tinted treatment.  I did recommend this product to a younger friend that could get away with more of a light coverage, and like I said it would be good for me for the beach or lounging by the pool.  I also subscribed to the Pacifica emails and I'm sure I will be purchasing something from them in the future.  I actually have my eye on their Solar Beauty Palette. I may also purchase the BB Cream in full size, but I am not completely sold just yet.
 

4th place at Glamour Academy goes to the Noya lip balm in Vanilla.  This was a full-size product and retails on their website for $3.99.  Honestly, I don't really have much to say about this product.  It's a good lip balm, don't get me wrong, but that's about it...it's a lip balm. The vanilla flavor is nice.  I'm not a fan of the flavor cherry so I was glad I received vanilla.  I was really hoping for the Urban Decay Revolutionary Lipstick, but I digress.  I do use it as I will always use all the items in my ipsy bag, but it is easily interchangeable with my eos balm.  I apply in the evening before bed and in the morning after I brush my teeth and do my whole skin care routine.  In terms of lip balm, it's a good lip balm, but usually a person picks up lip balm at the store rather than ordering it online.  I feel like it is a usually an impulse purchase as you walk through the store and say "Hey, my lips are a bit dry; let me pick up some lip balm," not specifically going shopping for their sole purpose of purchasing a lip balm.

Finally in last place at the ipsy Glamour Academy is the Pixi Lash Booster Mascara.  On their website it is described as a "do-it-all mascara that curls, defines, lengthens and thickens with a glossy, water-resistant finish."  Hmmm...I really don't feel like it did any of the above.  I did not see much in terms of curling, defining, lengthening or thickening.  It felt like I was basically just putting color on my lashes, not enhancing them in anyway.  It was also quite dry in terms of formula; there was no gloss or shine.  It could be my sample was dried out, but in terms of other ipster reviews, it didn't seem very popular either.  The full-size is $17, and I can honestly say I will not be purchasing this mascara.  Not to say I wouldn't buy other products from this brand.  I would not mind trying something else from them if ipsy wants to throw something in a future bag.